Monday, July 2, 2012

Asian Lettuce Wraps

Meatless, but still filling and definitely delicious, I threw this dish together one night when I realized I didn't have half the ingredients listed (including the meat) in the original recipe I wanted to try. I think mine turned out better anyways:).

Ingredients:
  • 1 T oil (use a REAL one like grapeseed, olive, or coconut)
  • 3 T minced red onion
  • 2 T minced garlic
  • 1-2 T minced ginger root (acoording to your taste; can use powder but fresh is better)
  • 2 cans chickpeas (or the equivalent if you cook your own)
  • 2 cups chopped spinach
  • 1 T sesame oil (sesame adds a subtle richness and flavor that's hard to replicate, but you could substitute another if you don't have any on hand)
  • 1-2 T rice wine vinegar
  • 1-2 T Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Sauce (if you want more heat try chili garlic sauce instead)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 Heads of lettuce (I usually use romaine but boston or butter lettuce would work well too)

In a large frying pan heat your oil on med-high heat and add the red onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for a couple minutes and then add your chickpeas and spinach. Salt and pepper now (you'll probably do it again later, but I like to do a little throughout).

After the spinach cooks down drizzle on your sesame oil and add the rice wine vinegar. Add your chili sauce and give everything a good stir.

Cover, turn the heat down to low, and let everything simmer for a few minutes while you get your lettuce ready.

Before serving, I like to mash my chickpeas down a bit so everything sticks together better. Salt and pepper again if needed.

Fill a piece (or two or four) of lettuce with the filling and enjoy as an appetizer, or with fried rice and some fruit for a meal.

1 comment: